All good habits start at home. One of the best habits you can form is for your dental health routine. It’s best to start as young as possible, so you’ll want teach your children good brushing habits around two years of age. Adults that do not have ideal brushing habits should consult with their dentist prior to making changes to their routine.
Here are 5 tips for maintaining great oral health at home:
- Get a routine going. Setting a routine for your oral health will set you up for success! Upon awakening and before bed, brush for at least two minutes. You’ll also want to floss at least once per day. Set an alarm if you’re prone to forgetting.
- Use products you enjoy. If you prefer flavored toothpaste or a minty floss, go for it! Enjoy an electric toothbrush over manual? Buy one you’ll love! Use the products that will encourage you to maintain your good habit.
- Have a dental hygiene station. Set up a station of all your brushing essentials in your bathroom. This will ensure that everything is easy to reach and you’re not wasting effort on searching for the floss or toothpaste. Keep it all together and save time!
- Brush correctly. Brushing too hard or too soft will result in broken or sore gums. Make sure you are doing it correctly by asking your dentist for a demonstration on proper brushing and flossing techniques.
- Eat healthy foods. The foods we eat have a direct impact on dental and general physical health. Adopt healthy eating habits by staying away from high-sugar and processed foods.
If you’d like to discuss more tips to set up your dental hygiene action plan, contact us today for a consultation!