You’ve probably heard the expression where something difficult or unpleasant is like “pulling teeth,” so it goes without saying that getting a tooth extraction isn’t the most pleasant experience for most. So why are they necessary, and can anything be done in order to avoid them altogether?
Why Get a Tooth Extraction?
There are a few different scenarios in which getting a tooth extraction is the best option for the sake of preserving your oral health. Those scenarios include:
- An Aggressive Infection: If you have an infection that has spread down to the root or has caused nerve damage, chances are that you may need the tooth extracted completely to eliminate the infected areas of your mouth.
- Injury: If you’ve experienced any trauma to your teeth, such as a sports injury, you may need your tooth extracted depending on the extent of the damage. If your tooth is salvageable, you will likely need a cosmetic procedure like bonding or a crown to fix your tooth.
- You Have Complications with Your Wisdom Teeth: Impacted wisdom teeth or wisdom teeth that are developing repeat infections can alter your bite and your comfort, so it’s best to get them extracted to avoid further complications.
Alternatives to Tooth Extraction
If you don’t need a tooth extraction because your tooth is repairable or you don’t have issues with your bite due to overcrowding, here are some options that you may have depending on your issue.
- Bonding: Bonding involves filling in fractures with porcelain or resin to restore the tooth.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin shells of porcelain that are bonded to the front and side of teeth to restore their looks and functionality. This is an ideal solution for those with chipped, cracked, broken, and worn down teeth.
- Crowns: At Dental Solutions of Columbus, we’re proud to offer Cerec® Same-Day crowns to our patients! Crowns are caps that go over the entire tooth, so it’s a great option for those with fractured, broken, chipped, discolored, and even missing teeth. We can design, create, and fit your dental crown in just one visit!
Every case is different, so we encourage you to visit us at Dental Solutions of Columbus in order to determine whether or not you’d need an extraction. We have a 24-Hour answering service for emergencies, so you can rest easy knowing that our knowledgeable and helpful staff can help you no matter what dental issue you may be facing. We look forward to helping to get the healthy and beautiful smile that you deserve. Contact us to schedule an appointment!